Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Sorry I've been away for awhile.  We've been having some internet issues, so posting has been difficult.  Things seen better today,  so I'll give this a try.

This is something I tried the other day.  I really love the not eating wheat thing, however sometimes I just don't know what to eat.  I'm so used to noodles and sauce.  So, I bought a spaghetti squash.  I cooked it up with spaghetti sauce and lots of cheese and it was delicious.

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

There is a strange urge deep inside me that makes me try to cook everything in my crock pot. So, In case you ever wanted to know,  yes you can cook a spaghetti squash in your crock pot.


I cut it in 8 pieces, removed the seeds and added about an inch of water to my crock pot.  It cooked on low all day, when I wanted to make supper it was ready.


I scraped the squash from the skins and put it in my casserole dish and added butter and salt and a good layer of cheese.


 Then I added my spaghetti sauce and some more cheese and baked it in my oven for 20 minutes at 350 F.


Here's my recipe for spaghetti sauce

1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 red pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp each of oregano, basil and salt
28oz. diced tomatoes

Brown the ground beef,  add onion and pepper,  cook until soft. Add garlic, oregano, basil, salt and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.


This post has been shared at Real Food Wednesdays,  Healthy 2day Wednesdays, and Frugal Days Sustainable Ways.

2 comments:

  1. I {heart} spaghetti squash - kind of burned my kids out on it this fall...will try your recipe again later this year - after they've had time to recover!
    Blessings
    http://bit.ly/wsoUJV

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy; and what a great idea to cook it in the crock pot. Thanks for sharing at Healthy 2Day Wednesday; come back tomorrow and see if you were featured!

    ReplyDelete